Saturday, February 2, 2013

I deserve a cookie ~ or maybe four

The current instability in the snowpack and some warmer days this week helped me in attaining my goal to get 40 miles!  I mostly ran on the streets in Salt Lake this week, which were quite like a war zone what with the recent heavy valley snows.  Probably only about 3/4 of the residents here feel it is necessary to shovel their sidewalks.  And usually the ones that don't shovel and allow their sidewalks to turn to ice are the ones that park their cars across the sidewalk, making it nearly impossible to pass and remain with dry feet.  The city plows have had a tough time keeping up with keeping the streets clear, and it feels like we are running out of places to pile the extra snow.  Between that and the hipsters not sharing space or giving way to passersby, it was a rough week on the streets!  Yipes!

But really, it's not all that bad.  The temperatures have been in the 40s and 50s the last few days, with clean air and sunshine here in town.  Getting my mileage up a bit this week meant that I was extra hungry and so I decided that after eating Huevos Miguel at Eggs in the City today after my ten-miler (hamburger patty smothered with chile verde and two eggs over-easy) that I deserved a cookie.  I ended up eating not one, but four.  I pretty much ran all week in my Altra Torins.  They are quickly becoming my favorite shoe.  And they are pretty in pink just like the cookies I ate.

pink cookies ~
pink shoes ~
Hopefully this week the snowpack will stabilize out a bit and allow for safer backcountry travel.  Next storm on the horizon is about one week away.  There have been a few avalanches in the backcountry, but not too many ~ and the sunny weather is bound to lure lots of people out this weekend.  It's not that there have been that many slides, but if one does go, it is likely to go deep and go heavy.

I got the dogs out a couple of times for some romping in the snow ~ they dug it!  Artie did a really good job at getting snowballs stuck to her undercarriage.  She also had a couple of adventures chasing deer and elk which put us out a bit, having to wait for her.  Franklin got his staples out of his face and has pretty much healed after his surgery (the mass was benign).  And Vernon decided to go into our friends' house (thru the dog door) because he was, oh I don't know, bored?  on one of our hikes.  The friends live just off the trail a ways and he came up missing, only to be found moments later hanging out with the friends' dog at their house.  Silly Vernon.

I'm working tomorrow at the urgent care in Layton, Utah.  It's Super Bowl Sunday, but I won't be sad to miss the game.  Hopefully I'll be able to get an easy run in while I'm there.  Looking forward to next week and hopefully some skiing also.  It's only 7 weeks until the Buffalo 100, my first race of the year (March 22nd).  So concentrating on running is ok too if the skiing is not super-great.  I'm happy to get out and enjoy the outdoors either way, whether it be skiing or running.  As Jim Fixx put it, "Play not only keeps us young but also maintains our perspective about the relative seriousness of things.  Running is play, for even if we try hard to do well at it, it is a relief from everyday cares."








3 comments:

  1. Missy, you look gorgeous in that green coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are stellar photos, Missy. Did you get a new camera or something?

    I'm already excited for Buffalo and it's nearly two months away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just photos from my iPhone 4s... I'm psyched for Buffalo too!

      Delete