Sunday, August 28, 2011

On the Mend ~ strong finish to a week of healing.

Even though I felt like I was backing off on the mileage this week, I still came up with a weekly total close to what I've been doing all summer.  I took two rest days this week and had myofascial therapy and two acupuncture sessions, in an attempt to stave off the aches and pains I've been dealing with since the KPIAD run (see last week's post if you need a refresher).  I capped the week off today with an early morning long run in one of my favorite places.  My friend Sue and I got up at o'dark stupid o'clock, which I feel is in itself very good training for Wasatch 100, and although we felt like we ran the first couple of hours in a fog and would have rather been counting sheep, we counted miles instead.

We ended up doing 18 miles on the day, in 4 1/2 hours, and 3,800 ft of elevation gain.  The Wasatch Crest was busy with bikers, but we did see a few folks a-foot as well and were happy to chat on the side of the trail.  Thankfully, the majority of mountain bikers were quite courteous and did not try to kill us by running us off the trail as often happens on this trail, but we were beating the odds with our early start time.  (As an aside, for those who might want to argue:  check your trail rules:  bikes are "supposed" so yield to other trail users on foot or on horseback, but often conveniently forget this fact.  Indeed, check the IMBA website which states, "Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel."  FYI-- do you know of any "bike-only" trails in Utah?  Yeah, neither do I.  FYI #2:  IMBA = International Mountain Bike Association.  You guys made the rules, so stick to them.)

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.  Anyhoo, it was a totally delightful run and the one photo that I took over the Park City/Snyderville Valley from the Wasatch Crest does not do justice to how beautiful it was.  My aches and pains have lessened over the last week, and I'm looking forward to this last downhill slide to my event on Sept 9th & 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment