Tuesday, January 31, 2012

run your [fluffy] buns off!

I've had a rough few days emotionally.  I started getting really irritable the end of last week, and it seemed that the only thing that made me feel better was getting out with the dogs:  running, skate skiing, dogwalk, whatever!  I just had to get out to feel better.

Several things added up to make it a stressful time for me.  I got a bunch of paperwork done and sent off to Germany to deal with the house over there.  I felt a lot of pressure to get it done, because my brother and sister-in-law don't speak German, so the bulk of the responsibility to get it done has been up to me.  My dad didn't have a will when he died, so it's been a real nightmare trying to figure out what all needed to be done.

I also worked a full 5 days last week.  I know, I know... all of you who work five days a week anyway, my hat's off to you.  I haven't worked 5 days a week since I was in Gillette, Wyoming (and we don't need to revisit how miserable that experience was).  I've been doing Monday-Wednesday-Friday at the Student Clinic since June, and it has been a dream because I get to take care of errands and still get a lot of training in.  So last week, I started working at the Community College Student Health clinic as well, and by the end of the week, my brain was fried!  Then I had to get all the German paperwork done... and I also decided to start working on my taxes (stupid),  so when Monday rolled around I was really just spent.

I asked a coworker if the patients seemed extra "needy" on Monday, and she said she didn't think so.  I think it's just that I had all this personal stress going on, so it was harder for me to have the energy to be compassionate towards them.  I muscled through, but by Monday night I was at home on the couch with a beer and feeling pretty low.  I also realized that it was the (11th) anniversary of my mom's death.  Talk about getting kicked while you are down.  I'm certain that missing my mom with all of this stuff going on played a big part in my mood as well.

So what's a girl to do?  Leash those dogs up, put on a headlamp, head to the rich (ie:  safe) neighborhood, and go running in the dark.  I also did a similar run on Friday.  Both runs made me feel a ton better.  The run on Monday night was nearly effortless.  I kept thinking that the dogs were lagging, but it was really that I just wanted to go faster than normal because I started feeling so much better.

I talked with my sister-in-law yesterday evening and she gave me a great pep talk (like she always does).  It's really nice to have someone who will unconditionally listen to you tell your tales of woe once in a while.  I hope I don't burn her out!

Today the dogs and I went up to Park City and skated the Rail Trail.  It was the first day that it has been groomed this winter by Mountain Trails Foundation because of the low snow totals.  It was sunny and spectacular.  Needless to say, after two night runs, a day at Snowbasin skate skiing and another day in Park City today, the dogs are feeling it!  I think I might have to give them the day off tomorrow.  They have been running their fluffy little buns off trying to keep up with my need to relieve stress!  I am so thankful that I am healthy and able to exercise to feel better throughout this whole process.  And happy that I have healthy companions who love to get out too!

No comments:

Post a Comment