Monday, March 10, 2014

Heavy Heart

It was with a heavy heart that I walked into St Ambrose Catholic church today, for the funeral of a good friend's mother.  My friend's mom was the definition of the word "moxie".  She was tough, opinionated, strong, talented, athletic, loving, welcoming, and loved by many.  After the loss of my own mother (and father) years ago, I could empathize with my friend and her family of 8 other siblings in the loss of their mother, just a couple of years after the loss of their father.

The service was lovely.  A Catholic mass that went on past the hour mark, with eulogies telling countless memories of this wonderful woman.  It was so entertaining to hear the stories of how innovative she was in the face of so few resources and so many (9!) energetic children, who are so smart and talented in their own rites.

I've been blessed over the years to have shared Thanksgiving dinners, babysitting duties, time camping, and afternoon picnics with such a beautiful, loving family.  A family that accepted me into their circle more than once because, I guess, if there's 30 people at the table, it doesn't make much sense not to include one more.

Some of the members of this family I hadn't seen in a few years.  It was really great to see them again and share some stories and some hugs.  I'll always remember the kindness that they have shown me.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -- Dr. Seuss


No comments:

Post a Comment