Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Good for the soul ~ rest, running, and laughter

Wow, after my 4 big running weeks in a row, I was super tired last week.  I decided to give things a rest.  I napped in the afternoons and took 5 days off in a row.  By Friday I was running again, and put together 20 miles over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  It felt good.

Now, this week I'm up to 20 miles already over Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  I ran two 5 1/2 mile runs yesterday (one with the dogs).  My running partner, Mark, told me that it felt like I was running faster on the afternoon run.  I looked down at my watch, and the pace-clock said we were doing 30 seconds per mile faster than usual!  And I felt relaxed and was chatting away.  I guess that rest did me some good.

The weather has been sunny this week ~ first cool, and brisk, and sunny, then today a bit windy and warm.  It got up to nearly 60 degrees here in Salt Lake!  Running with the dogs was relaxing and nice this afternoon.  We've got some weather moving in tomorrow evening, and hopefully it will hold off for the first session of Girls on the Run that starts tomorrow.  I'll be coaching again this year at Uintah Elementary with my friend Suzanne.

Since I gave up sweets for Lent a few weeks ago, I've dropped a couple of pounds.  I really think I feel leaner and lighter, and my pants are fitting a little looser too.  All good for the upcoming Buffalo 100 in two weeks!  Yikes!  I'm so excited.

My friend Tiffany is in town this week from Seattle for a work conference.  We hadn't seen each other in over 20 years!  She is exactly the same.  It was so good to hear her laugh.  I love her laugh!  We went to dinner at a Chinese restaurant near my house, along with my friend Mark, and Tiffany's friend Laurence from work.  Delicious food, good company, laughter, and hugs.  I felt transported back to when I was 18 years old and didn't have the stress of being a "grown up" and having to worry about grown up things.  Maybe that's why I like a lot of the things that I do:  working at Student Health, coaching Girls on the Run, and running with my dogs.  Sometimes acting like a kid and being around younger people makes one feel more young at heart, I think.  And laughter is always good for the soul.

Me and Tiff at Little World Chinese restaurant ~
Enjoying the bright sunshine on the porch ~
Tired pups after a run in Memory Grove
and City Creek ~
A nice place for a nap ~

No comments:

Post a Comment